Amazon #1 New Release and Best Seller in several categories including Organic Gardening, Vegetable Gardening, Herbs, Organic Cooking!
One of the 18 best new cookbooks for 2023, Tasting Table.
Publish date: June 13, 2023 (USA), July 13 (International)
I'm so thrilled to announce that my first book, Seed to Table: A Seasonal Guide to Organically Growing, Cooking, and Preserving Food at Home is available for purchase internationally!
This book has been a true labor of love and represents everything I am passionate about.
- Growing healthy, beautiful and abundant gardens.
- Garden to table recipes
- Preserving the harvest
Thank you so much for your support. It truly means the world to me.
About the book
Is this a cookbook? Or is it a gardening book? Well, it’s both. When conceptualizing this book, I simply couldn’t divorce the act of cooking the food from the act of growing it. I wrote this book in a way that encourages you to think about the entire life cycle, from seed to plant to table.
- Chapter 1 dives deeper into my garden-to-table philosophy and includes practical advice to help you plan an abundant garden and become more self-sufficient in the process.
- In Chapter 2, I distill my 10+ years of edible gardening knowledge into 21 easy-to-read crop guides, full of tips, tricks, and recommendations.
- Chapter 3 offers you recipes that I hope will inspire you to grow more of what you like to eat. After all, what’s the point of growing abundant fruits and vegetables if we don’t transform them into delectable dishes to enjoy and share?
- Chapters 4 through 10 cover the technical aspects of garden planning, growing techniques, fundamentals of soil health, seed starting, garden maintenance, and more.
- Chapter 1 Garden to Table
- Chapter 2 Crop Guides
- Cool-Weather Crops
- Warm-Weather Crops
- Chapter 3 Garden-to-Table Recipes & Preservation Techniques
- Garden-Inspired Libations
- Snacks & Dips
- Pestos & Sauces
- Larger Dishes
- Side Dishes
- Pickling and Fermenting
- Drying the Harvest
- Freezing the Harvest
- Chapter 4 Garden Planning
- Chapter 5 Growing Techniques
- Chapter 6 Fundamentals of Soil
- Chapter 7 Seeds, Seedlings, and Planting Guide
- Chapter 8 Seed Starting for Beginners
- Chapter 9 Garden Maintenance
- Chapter 10 Season Extension and Winterization
- Glossary of Common Terms
- 330 Pages, full color with full page photography
- 21 crop guides with growing information, tips, small garden considerations, common issues, recommended varieties, and more
- 40+ Recipes including full page photos and vegan substitutions
- Preservation primers to help you dry, pickle, ferment and freeze the harvest
- QR Codes which take you to blog posts and/or exclusive instructional videos for more information, context or technique demonstration
- Foreward: Laura Wright of The First Mess
- Photography: Luay Ghafari, Bernardo Gonzalez
- Published by Mango Publishing
Praise for the book
“Luay has an enormous amount of knowledge on growing beautiful produce. Beyond his knowledge, his love and dedication to bringing vegetables to life are unparalleled. This book is an interesting and fantastic combination of simple and tasty recipes, along with an approachable DIY guide to becoming a home gardener.”
—Afrim Pristine, internationally renowned maître fromager of the Cheese Boutique, Food Network TV host, and author of For the Love of Cheese: Recipes and Wisdom from the Cheese Boutique
“Seed to Table is a fantastic, robust guide that will help you achieve the garden-to-table lifestyle you’ve always craved. From quick growing tips and in-depth gardening techniques to drool-worthy recipes to use or preserve your homegrown bounty—Luay has covered it all!”
—Deanna Talerico, garden expert, blogger, and founder of Homestead and Chill
“Luay makes growing your own food, even if just a small amount, into an achievable endeavor. Combining his expert growing advice with detailed crop guides and delicious, creative recipes, this book contains everything you could possibly need to know to enjoy fresh meals straight from the garden.”
—Niki Irving of Flourish Flower Farm, flower farmer, florist, and author of Growing Flowers
About the author
Luay Ghafari is an urban gardener, garden educator, consultant, recipe developer, and
founder of Urban Farm and Kitchen, a seasonal garden-to-table food blog and gardening resource. His mission is to guide and help anyone on a gardening and food-growing journey.
With over a decade of intensive urban growing experience, he uses tried-and-true science-based techniques to grow abundant, healthy, and thriving gardens for himself and his clients. He is passionate about the garden-to-table movement and vegetable-forward seasonal recipes. He also teaches a garden-to-table Master Class for beginner and intermediate gardeners.
He has been featured in publications like Medium, Food52, and Toronto Life Magazine, as well as in documentaries and is active on social media, where he shares gardening tips and seasonal recipes. Luay is based in Toronto, Canada.